Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Pins and needles

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
On the uptown M11 bus.

From my journal...
It's a beautiful day for regime change. I voted at 6:30 this morning - there were already lines at the polls. Every person I passed entering and leaving my polling station wore a smile.

I voted Kerry/Edwards like taking cough syrup - it tastes terrible and it won't cure the cough, but it'll make me feel better for now. I held my breath and turned the lever.

The sun is rising over Spanish Harlem as I ride the bus to my election day volunteer commitment. Dawn of change? Sounds trite, but it's the sense I get.

. . .

I'm on my way to therapy and I feel oddly exhilarated. One of my surveyees was an 18-year-old first-time voter. She was with her mother and they were so happy to talk to me. Everything about their voting experience was positive and their pride shone in their eyes and smiles. When I asked the young woman "Did anyone ask if you knew how to work the [voting] machine?" she smiled and proudly said, "No, my mother showed me." Her mother beamed and said, "I vote in every election and now she can, too."

I love my country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home