Friday, June 29, 2007

My first Mermaid Parade

Nearly twelve years later and I'm still having New York firsts. I've finally participated in the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade. Peace pal Nadette and fellow cyclist/activists organized a group called Super Sassy Something Something Seahorses Swarm from the Sweltering Sea. It was overly alliterative, mildly political, and wholly fun.

The incredibly talented Ian Hart designed these deceptively intricate seahorse heads to mount on our bikes.



Nadette lovingly made one for me so I could play too.



The line for those who pre-registered but still needed the mark of the mer was long, but allowed for 30 minutes-or-so of glorious crazy-gazing.





In the midst of my snapping, I got a bonus: King Neptune, Adam Savage and Queen Mermaid, Patti D'arbanville! I thought they were just random freaks, but no. They're celebrity freaks.



We joined the parade on the boardwalk between some adorable sailor girls who frequently showhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifed their bums and a group of mildly enthusiastic mermaids in pasties. I think the pasty girls were annoyed at the attention we got from the crowd. The people loved us and we were clothed. I felt kind of bad for them and the sunburns they were getting on their boobs.





When we made the jog to the Surf Ave. leg of the route, we made a pass around parade to join forces with the Rude Mechanical Orchestra. They are my new favorite band ever.















What a blast. Again! Again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home