Monday, December 19, 2005

Make your own knitting needles

I looked high and low for size 13 double pointed knitting needles while visiting my family in NC. There were none to be found anywhere, so I made my own (plus Dad and I got to bond over a trip to Lowe's and discussion of appropriate power tools for the job). Ultimately, mujerisma was the only power necessary.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oak dowl rods (3/8" = approximately size 13 (9mm) needles), tape measure, pencil

Measure and mark dowl every 8"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Cut dowls with saw

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Make dull points with a pencil sharpener

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sand until smooth (I used fine sand paper and followed with 000 gauge steel wool)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Hold your awesome needles aloft in victory

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Show off battle scar with pride (blister from pencil sharpener)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home