Friday, December 16, 2005

The Ice Storm

North Carolina had mild, yet noticable winters. Just not usually in December. The evening I arrived at the family homestead for an early Christmas vacation, I expected relief from seasonably chilly New York. Within hours, ice rained from the sky onto heads and powerlines.

Mom and I played Rummikub into the night as the storm raged.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The next morning, I found myself stranded by parents who have jobs and know how to drive in inclement weather. The bluster continued throughout the day and night.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Crunching through the backyard

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Then it disappeared as abruptly as it came.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

No longer housebound, I went out for Christmas shopping and drive-up barbecue.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Tommy's BBQ, Dallas, NC

The car hop didn't blink when I asked for a slaw sandwich with no meat. "Oh yeah," she drawled, "You wanna slawburger? Shore, honey."

Image hosting by Photobucket
"Slawburger" (coleslaw seasoned with barbecue sauce on a bun - a vegetarian delight)

I also ordered hushpuppies

Image hosting by Photobucket

and a Cheerwine.




Vacation is for driving and eating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home