Sunday, May 08, 2005

I like a little gentrification with my jazz

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Waiting for the loo in the belly of a Grey Knight*

My pal Jen hooked me up with a couple of tickets to Jazz at Lincoln Center on Saturday. The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra performed an interpretation of Don Quixote called Chivalrous Misdemeanors. I loved the female vocalist, Jennifer something, I'll look it up later, and that there were trombone and baritone solos. The schmaltzy, loungy, too Dean-Martin-for-my-taste male vocalist and Winnie-the-Poohesque narrator made me giggle inappropriately. I don't think self-parody was what they were going for. I'm not much of a jazz person, so I don't speak with any authority, but I enjoyed the program overall. Our seats were great (thanks Jen!) and the venue was swank, so there's that.

*Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Time Warner Center - towering grey knights protecting the posh Central Park South aristocracy from the Hell's Kitchen serfs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home